Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life's Heartaches

Yesterday was a very long day...It was the 3rd anniversay of the death of my friend's son, whom I loved to pieces. She found him in his bed..he was 15. I had just left her house and I was the first person she called before the paramedics. I raced back to the house and I will never forget seeing that beautiful little boy in his bed...dead. I wear one of those popular rubber bracelets that she had made after his death...it says "Sober or Die"...I think that says it all. I never leave my house without this bracelet and I never will. Trevor struggled with his addiction, but we thought he had been sober for 10 months. WE were lulled into believing the best, but should have suspected the worst. He tried hard to stay sober, but in the end, he sucummed to peer pressure. "Friends" that he wasn't supposed to see, caught him in a moment of weakness the night before he died. He was looking for his sponsor and found these "friends" instead. One of the young men had stolen liquid morphine from his dying grandfather...they taunted Trevor until he drank it. Liquid Morphine will not get you high...it is time released and lethal. Even prescription drugs can kill kids that have no idea what they are taking. Knowing that his parents would be very upset with him, he went home and told them his stomach was upset, being the dutiful mother that she was, my friend tried to settle his stomach down with Pepto Bismol, when all he really needed to save his life was a shot of Narcaine.

The above happened on the 10th of August. On the 11th, my friend and I were scheduled to have lunch for our Birthday's..mine the 3rd and hers the 12th. I picked her up...the last thing she did before leaving the house, was check on Trevor...he appeared to be sleeping...we had no idea he was really dying. We had our birthday lunch, came home and life changed greatly after that. Trevor was an only child and the only one my friend will ever have. If I could change that day, I would in a heart beat....so that my friend could have the son back she loved so much.


Life is short and full of heartaches...tell those you love...everyday that you love them. We never know when it will be the last time that we get a chance to do it.


Anett

4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely ~ life is too short NOT to share our love and kindness with each other. Bless you and your friend as you continue to grieve....

Lyn said...

Life is too short and you need to make the most of each day.My deepest sympathy to your friend and yourself. Regards Lyn Thank you for your comment on my blog

Angela said...

That is so sad. This scenerio happened here locally to a classmate of my dd. In our small town, this year so far 5 kids under 19, have overdosed on something. The hig school is hitting things running with additional programs, counseling AND police patrols with dogs to sniff out lockers every week on a different day/time. They also have posters up in the student parking area with pics of the kids who died. Some said too harsh, this needs harsh.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Annett,
Your post brought tears to my eyes, not just for you and your friend but for everyone who has a child challenged by addiction. My son nearly died from it and somehow got through it and is fine today. A good friend of mine wasn't so lucky. It's only a little over a year ago that her son lost his battle with addiction. Sometimes you don't even know your child is struggling and even if you do, sometimes you are powerless to help. My thoughts and prayers go out to you both. I know that it is difficult to comprehend why it had to happen.