Wednesday, April 23, 2008

How I became the me I am

this is my life. it is my one time to be me. i want to experience every good thing.”
Maya Angelou quote

I was strolling through Pat Sloan's blog today and found this quote. It hit me rather profoundly. I usually think about others before I think about myself. As I get older, I find myself changing in small ways and evolving in ways I never thought I would. I have always tried just to be me....no pretenses...just me. I find I like things I never did before...colors, foods, fabrics and hobbies long forgotten. I find I look at life differently now. I try not to look to much to the future, but look intensely at the now. I also occasionally look at the past and think how did all those years slip by without me noticing more. I think of my Gram nearly everyday and sometimes I think I miss her more now than when she passed away. I have a need to talk to her, and sometimes I still do, but I would love to hear her responses to some of the things I say. I know she was always proud of me for just who I was...I never had to do things to make her proud...she just was. I miss her humor the most, but I am fortunate in that I inherited her wicked sense of humor. I am fortunate to have many hand written poems done by my Gram. These were mostly written during World War 2 and the things she said would not be considered politically correct today, but I love them just the same. I was fortunate that my Gram loved my husband from the start....my husband had a bad habit of calling really late.....my Gram called him "The Midnight Stranger". My husband also loved my Gram dearly....especially when she made him apple pies!

I can thank my Gram for who I am today, she was with me everyday of my growing up years and shaped me into the person that I have become.......thanks Gram....I miss you dearly.

1 comment:

*karendianne. said...

That's a prize winning portrait if ever I've read one. You do her proud.

Naturally I'm interested in the Politically Incorrect letters and I love the "Midnight Stranger!"

Stranger Danger Love, *karendianne.